By Janita Kapoor
On my recent visit to the UK, I had the opportunity to meet several of our clients who are working with remote teams; that we provide and one subject that came up in each conversation was “What can we do we make our remote team members feel like they are an extension of our in-house team and help them feel more included?”
Building a sense of camaraderie and connection among team members can be challenging in the era of remote working. However, fostering engagement and creating a strong bond is essential for a thriving remote team.
Let’s explore some remote team-building activities that can help promote engagement, boost morale, and strengthen relationships with team members, regardless of their physical locations.
· Virtual Icebreaker Sessions: Start virtual meetings or team gatherings with fun icebreaker activities to break the ice and create a relaxed environment. These activities can range from sharing interesting facts about oneself to playing online trivia games. Icebreakers are a great way to get to know team members on a personal level and build a sense of familiarity.
· Online Team-Building Games and Challenges: Engage your team with virtual team-building games and challenges. Platforms like Kahoot, QuizBreaker, or online escape rooms offer interactive and collaborative experiences. These activities promote teamwork, problem-solving, and friendly competition while providing an opportunity for team members to bond over shared experiences.
· Virtual Coffee Chats or Lunches: Schedule informal virtual coffee chats or lunch sessions where team members can chat about non-work-related topics in a relaxed setting. Encourage team members to share their interests, hobbies, or experiences. These casual conversations help foster connections, build rapport, and create a sense of camaraderie.
· Virtual Team-Building Workshops: Organize virtual workshops facilitated by internal or external experts. These workshops can cover a range of topics such as team communication, time management, or stress reduction techniques. Engaging in skill-building activities together encourages collaboration, shared learning, and promotes personal and professional growth within the team.
· Remote Recognition and Appreciation: Implement a system for remote recognition and appreciation to acknowledge team members’ efforts and achievements. Use virtual platforms to publicly recognize individuals or teams for their contributions. This fosters a positive work culture and encourages team members to support and appreciate each other’s hard work.
While remote work may physically separate team members, it doesn’t have to hinder camaraderie and engagement. These activities provide opportunities for team members to connect, have fun, and build a cohesive and supportive work environment, ultimately leading to improved collaboration, productivity and a feeling of inclusiveness.